The Proposal

The day was beautiful. Cloudless and brisk with a breeze coming out of the North that added to the chilliness of the day. We were supposed to have gotten somewhere around 3 inches of snow the night before, but it was more like a dusting and even at the, the roads were clear and dry. Friday night was Lisa’s office Christmas party and she was expecting me to arrive that afternoon between 2:00 and 2:30…the truth of the matter was that, unbeknownst to her, I was in Winona at 9:00am. Today was the day! I was hopeful and nervous, but mostly very excited! I had arranged with Lisa’s boss weeks earlier to make sure that Lisa would be in the office between 11:30 and noon. Sometime around 11:45, one of the ladies that Lisa works with; interrupted Lisa’s meeting with her boss to tell her someone was at the door for her. Thinking that it possibly could be me arriving early, she opened the door and was surprised and a little confused to see a limo out front and a driver at the door. He asked if she was Lisa Evans and she said that she was. He then told her, ‘I believe you have an appointment.’ and handed her a note. The note, written in her bosses own hand, told her that she was giving Lisa the afternoon off, to go and have fun and that she’d see her that night at the party. Confused, Lisa got her coat…she thought that perhaps I was waiting for her in the limo…I was not, but a dozen white roses were. She got into the limo and the driver took her to Garvin Heights. Garvin Heights is a park that features a spectacular stone overlook of Winona.

The overlook is 575 feet up on top of a bluff and on a clear day, the view stretches for about 17 miles and I was waiting for her at the overlook point. As I stood there waiting for her, looking out at the panoramic vista, I realized how much God has blessed me and how He has restored not just my life, but the life of my kids as well! In that instant, I thought about the past year and God magnificent plan suddenly became clear…it is plain to see now exactly how God’s fingerprints…no, His LOVE was in and through Lisa and my meeting and proceeding relationship.
After what seemed like an eternity, I heard the approaching footsteps of the one who has captured my heart. When I heard her start to climb the stairs, I turned towards her and began to sing. When I got to the end of my song, I dropped to my knee and asked her if she’d do the honor of becoming my wife…and she said…YES!!

Psalm 126:3-6 ‘The LORD has done great things for us, and we are filled with joy. Restore our fortunes, O LORD, like streams in the Negev. Those who sow in tears will reap with songs of joy. He who goes out weeping, carrying seed to sow, will return with songs of joy, carrying sheaves with him.

I have discovered that joy is in the simple things: touching, embracing, chattering on for hours about nothing, sure of your place within another's heart. Simple things like coming home knowing exactly where your treasure lies; like being at ease with who you are and who you're with; Needing, accepting and desiring that which you have been given…content with what you already have; feeling the simple gratitude of being loved; Investing goodness instead of money, time instead of things; giving for the pleasure of giving; seeing Gods plan unfold and take you in its arms. All this joy is ours for the price of loving! Not only loving well, but long days…long years of willing, wise and patient love!

Today…tomorrow…forever!

~ V

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

Dearest, Well Done my beloved Brother! Oh how so romantic! and ladies come on You know You love this stuff!! :) Vince and Lisa You have My BEST Wishes!! love always debbie

Lisa Howard said...

It was the most spectacular day of my life....the most romantic moment of my life...the most wonderful way of stepping into our future together. Thank you baby, from the depths of my heart!

Today...tomorrow....forever!

~ Lisa

Anonymous said...

Congratulations you two!! I'm just so excited for all of you to start your life together. How exciting!!!
Kari

Anonymous said...

Wow - talk about raising the bar!! I have 2 years to go until our 25th, so I better start practicing the "romantic moments" now - - now that we have a new standard! Way to go, Vince! You've taken it to a new level for us guys!!

Donna and I couldn't be happier for both of you. It is truly remarkable to see God's plan unfold before our eyes. Congratulations!!

Dave

Anonymous said...

God Bless, and I know He will!
Michael

New Year, New Look, Another Try

Lisa and my daughter Hope, both told me last night that they missed my blogging and that I should write again. So, I brought up the site...d...