Sowing Seeds

Today and Sunday Nick has a baseball tournament and this will mark the end of the season. I remember going to this tournament last year and after the first game, it basically rained ALL day! We were SO wet, cold and miserable! This year the weather is supposed to be very hot…we’ll see. They’ve had a great season; right now his team is 10 and 2 and we are SO proud of Nick and his team! We’re looking forward both to the tournament and the end of baseball as it really has taken many of our evenings.

The other night while Lisa and I were getting Nick and Vinny into bed, I decided to give them a little Bible challenge. I challenged them to take the time today to find where the parable of the sower was and read it. I’m sure you’re familiar with the story where the farmer goes out to his fields to sow his seed and some fell on the road just to be trampled or eaten. Some fell on some rocks and once it grew, withered away. Some fell among thorns, but the thorns choked it out. Lastly, some fell on good soil where it grew to maturity and produced a great crop. My little challenge is designed to get the kids familiar with how to look things up in the bible, do a little study and make it fun! We’ll see how it goes.

I know this parable is specifically talking about planting the seed of God and the result of what happens or what can happen depending on who hears it, but this got me to thinking. As Christians, aren’t we responsible for the TYPE of seed we sow? And further more, can the type of seed we sow effect the crop that grows from it? I mean, this goes to OUR witness doesn’t it? People are watching us all of the time…our actions, emotions and even the way we handle our everyday lives. If I went to a bar every night after work and had a drink with ‘the regulars’, how effective can my witness be to those very same people? Now, there is something to be said about meeting people where they are, but I think we all know the difference. What I’m trying to say is that WE, as Christians, need to make sure that the seeds we spread are not tainted. That the examples we set and the impressions we leave are God honoring.

Oh, be careful little mouth what you say...
Oh, be careful little feet where you go...
Oh, be careful little eyes what you see...

Hmm...actions, attitudes and our tongues...powerful tools to either build up or break down our witness...

Oh Lord, please examine my actions...my attitude and my tongue so that the seeds I plant daily might be fruitful and pleasing to You.

~ V

No comments:

New Year, New Look, Another Try

Lisa and my daughter Hope, both told me last night that they missed my blogging and that I should write again. So, I brought up the site...d...