You make the call.

Do you remember pay-phones? Yeah, I know, airports and shopping malls still have them, but with the advent of cellular phone technology, you see less and less of them. When I was a teenager, before running out with my friends, or being dropped off, my mom (she was a great mom!) always made sure I had a dime in my pocket. When I needed to get a message to someone back home that the ball game was over or that I was ready to come home, I dug for the dime she gave to me, reached for the receiver, dropped the silver coin in and dialed. Soon help, or a ride, was on the way. I rarely had to use those dimes, but it always provided a sense of security knowing that help and family was just a quick call away. Contrast that with today’s cell phones and most teenagers…at times it seems the cell phone is either glued to their ears, or their thumbs are moving 100 mph texting! These kids don’t make a call once or twice a day, but closer to once or twice a minute! They feel free to dial or text at any time, call at their convenience, and to use their ‘phone a friend’ lifeline at the drop of a hat. Now, I agree there is a time and place for the use of these devices and teenagers and adults alike need to exercise appropriateness and courtesy while using them, but this isn’t about nagging on these kids for talking too much, actually, I think they are on to something. They are in constant contact with their friends and family and literally have help at their fingertips.

When it comes to my relationship with God, I’m afraid to admit that often I am much more like a teen in the 80’s when it comes to calling upon the Lord. I reserve my spiritual dimes for the times I need Him, coming to Him in times of need and not so much in times of blessing. When I fear I will be spiritually stranded without a ride, feel a bit scared and need someone to rush to my side, or any other such divine emergency, I call upon the Lord. But in times of plenty and blessing, I must admit my spiritual cell phone sometimes stays shut. Instead, my prayer life should mirror the actions of the cell-phone-grafted-to-the-side-of-your-head teens of our current culture. He wants us to feel free to call, text and mobile-to-mobile Him about any and everything and, as a result, stay constantly connected to Him throughout the course of our day…everyday! We need to realize that His line is never busy, we will NEVER get His voicemail, His ear never tires and He longs to connect with us more than on an as-needed basis. We can call (pray), text (journal), save a message (memorize Scripture) or return a message (praise Him) no matter the time or place! And by doing so, we will draw closer to Him and He to us…

Oh, if only God’s presence in my everyday life became as precious and desired as a teen’s cell phone use addiction!

Psalms 86:3 ‘Have mercy on me, O Lord, for I call to you all day long.’

~ V

1 comment:

Lisa Howard said...

Wow, hon, that is awesome...I love your analogies. And although I agree that many people, especially teens seem to be addicted to their cell phones and use them inappropriately (remember Trevor's birthday party and there were like 6 kids sitting around the house texting their other friends?!) it really does keep the lines of communication open. Not only between friends, but between parents & kids and between us. As with so many things in this world, these gadgets can distract us from what is truly important and nothing is more important than our communication with God. Thanks for reminding me & us of this! See why I married you??!

Oh, and your mom gave you a dime when you went out. That is so cute, and such a simple gesture, but look at what it conveyed...she cared so much about you and your safety and look at what it means to you all these years later. Like I've told you many times before, I wish I could have known her.

I love you ~
Lisa

New Year, New Look, Another Try

Lisa and my daughter Hope, both told me last night that they missed my blogging and that I should write again. So, I brought up the site...d...