Ch-ch-ch-ch-Changes

I still don't know what I was waiting for
And my time was running wild
A million dead-end streets
Every time I thought I'd got it made
It seemed the taste was not so sweet
So I turned myself to face me
But I've never caught a glimpse
Of how the others must see the faker
I'm much too fast to take that test
Ch-ch-ch-ch-Changes (Turn and face the strange)
Turn and face the strain
Ch-ch-Changes...
Hope, Lisa and I were watching Grown-Ups 2 tonight and near the end of the movie they're having a costume party where everyone dressed like their favorite 80's rock icons. Lisa and I were having fun telling Hope who was who and asked if she knew any of the artists songs. So, we had to sing some Hall & Oats and a little Meatloaf. We got to David Bowie and Hope says, 'He's weird!' to which I said, 'Oh Hon! I LOVED his music' and then proceeded to play A Space Oddity, followed by Changes. It was a fun moment!

As I mentioned in an earlier post, 2017 will indeed be full of changes and a major change for me is scheduled for January 16th. That's when I'll be having Gastric Sleeve surgery. You can read all about it here, if you'd like: 

http://www.obesitycoverage.com/gastric-sleeve-reference-manual/

Like many, I've struggled with weight much of my adult life. I've tried countless diets to various successes, but always gained any weight loss back...and then some. The yo-yo cycle of loss and gain truly left me discouraged and cynical about diets and I eventually became resigned to the idea that this is WHO I am and why try anymore...

About 10 years ago, I was diagnosed with Type II Diabetes...a few years after that, high blood pressure followed by high cholesterol. My doctor told me at the time, the ONLY thing I was missing was heart disease and unchecked that very well might be in my future...It was about 8 years ago when I started contemplating weight loss surgery, but there was a part of me that felt this was an extreme method and IF I could just mentally discipline myself, I SHOULD be able to lose this weight...again, I lost weight...I gained more back, the cycle continued.

Over the intervening years, I've discovered that age and weight don't mix well...knee pain, back issues and getting short of breath just walking up our stairs had taken its toll. I started dreading shopping trips and even the thought of walking for exercise caused much anxiety because of the anticipated pain and shortness of breath...it finally dawned on me, my quality of life had and continued to diminish...If I wanted to be around for my wife and my family, I needed to make a change. If I wanted a better quality of life, a life where I could walk without pain, enjoy golf again...walk the sandy beaches of Maui with my wife, I NEEDED to make a radical change.

About 8 months ago, I started the process that would end in Bariatric surgery. Regular monthly meetings with a Bariatric Nutritionist, several meetings with a Psychiatrist (and they allowed me to walk out!!) and a meeting early on with the surgeon. I've learned alot about myself through this process, while I'm NOT a stress eater (a person who relies on food to calm them down or make them FEEL happy), I do have trouble with portion control...if something tastes REALLY good, it's very difficult for me to live the 'One and Done' rule. I've also learned that while it can be difficult to find something to eat in this Fast Food world we live in, it's not impossible (order a grilled chicken sandwich and eat it without the bun, choose the green beans instead of the fries). One HUGE realization came after I went through a 3 week pre-op diet the nutritionist put me on...processed foods aren't only horrible for you, but once you get away from them for a period of time and eat only real food, they taste like garbage.

Over the past several months, my wife and other family members have asked me MANY questions and have voiced many real and thought out concerns. I have loved and enjoyed cooking, how will this surgery affect this aspect of my life? I know through the many discussions I've had with my Bariatric team that post-surgery, many people find they can not longer eat certain foods, some no longer care for the taste of certain spices or flavors. After the initial post-surgical restrictions are past, the only things they tell me to steer clear of are: Soda and processed white breads. Both of these tend to cause expansion within the stomach and they tell me that I will not like the result...I believe them! But, back to the point, while I will need to figure out my individual tastes, I will take it as a personal challenge to still cook and cook well! I've already discovered the MANY benefits to cutting as much sugar out of my diet as possible, so I honestly don't feel that will be an issue for me. But will I be tempted to eat or drink something I shouldn't? I don't know...probably at some point, but I've also learned that turning away from one item also means turning to another choice. 

Just to be clear, I know fully that this surgery isn't a 'FIX', but rather a tool to help me lose enough weight so I wont be in the pain I have in my knees and back, so I can walk and play again. A tool to help me regulate my portions. A tool that will greatly reduce if not completely eliminate most of the medications I currently take. A tool to set me on the right track to health.

1 Corinthians 10:31 So, whether you eat or drink, or whatever you do, do everything to the glory of God.

Romans 12:1 Therefore I exhort you, brothers and sisters, by the mercies of God, to present your bodies as a sacrifice–alive, holy, and pleasing to God–which is your reasonable service.

1 Corinthians 6:19–20 Don’t you realize that your body is the temple of the Holy Spirit, who lives in you and was given to you by God? You do not belong to yourself, for God bought you with a high price. So you must honor God with your body.

Psalm 34:17 The godly cry out and the LORD hears; he saves them from all their troubles.

Psalm 10:17 You, LORD, hear the desire of the afflicted; you encourage them, and you listen to their cry.


Psalm 32:8 The LORD says, “I will guide you along the best pathway for your life. I will advise you and watch over you.


1 comment:

Lisa Howard said...

I am so proud of you! You are brave and stromg and I will be right by your side every step of this journey. Lisa

New Year, New Look, Another Try

Lisa and my daughter Hope, both told me last night that they missed my blogging and that I should write again. So, I brought up the site...d...