The Great American Pastime

I used to coach my oldest son's (Trevor) baseball team. For the first year, when he was nine, I just helped out as the head coach had to withdraw at the last minute due to personal reasons. The assistant had to step up and I could tell by the look of terror on his face that he was in over his head, so I stepped up and spent the next four years coached baseball. When Trevor reached 13, he tried out and made the Babe Ruth league and so ended my coaching days...or so I thought. Our town needed an 8 and under coach and Lisa's youngest boy, Kyle, would be on that team...so I thought about it, talked about it with Lisa and Kyle was very excited about the possibility of me being his coach (he started calling me Daddy-coach!). Honestly, it wasn't an easy decision as I had to make a choice between coaching and going out for HCO's production of Beauty and the Beast...ultimately Kyle's excitement won out and this would give me a chance to spend more personal time with him as well.

I have to admit that it's had its challenges; trying to hold the attention of 13 eight year olds during an hour and a half practice is NOT an easy task! Not to mention trying to keep 26 plus parents appeased! But the boys are fun and they had the chance to 'show their stuff' last Tuesday as they took their season openner 19 to 3!

So, if you see me at the end of the season and it looks like I have a few more grey hairs...I probably will!

~ V

No comments:

New Year, New Look, Another Try

Lisa and my daughter Hope, both told me last night that they missed my blogging and that I should write again. So, I brought up the site...d...