Through the eyes of God, the parent...

Genesis 2:8-9 Now the LORD God had planted a garden in the east, in Eden; and there he put the man he had formed. And the LORD God made all kinds of trees grow out of the ground—trees that were pleasing to the eye and good for food. In the middle of the garden were the tree of life and the tree of the knowledge of good and evil.

Genesis 2:15-17 The LORD God took the man and put him in the Garden of Eden to work it and take care of it. And the LORD God commanded the man, "You are free to eat from any tree in the garden; but you must not eat from the tree of the knowledge of good and evil, for when you eat of it you will surely die."

Genesis 3:6-13 When the woman saw that the fruit of the tree was good for food and pleasing to the eye, and also desirable for gaining wisdom, she took some and ate it. She also gave some to her husband, who was with her, and he ate it. Then the eyes of both of them were opened, and they realized they were naked; so they sewed fig leaves together and made coverings for themselves. Then the man and his wife heard the sound of the LORD God as he was walking in the garden in the cool of the day, and they hid from the LORD God among the trees of the garden. But the LORD God called to the man, "Where are you?" He answered, "I heard you in the garden, and I was afraid because I was naked; so I hid." And God said, "Who told you that you were naked? Have you eaten from the tree that I commanded you not to eat from?" The man said, "The woman you put here with me—she gave me some fruit from the tree, and I ate it." Then the LORD God said to the woman, "What is this you have done?"

God gave Adam (and eventually Eve, as well) only one command…Not to eat the fruit of the tree of the knowledge of good and evil. God wasn’t a task master; He didn’t delight in crafting impossible situations for Adam…one rule was all. He was even upfront and plainly told them the repercussions if they disobeyed…they would die…

I’ve read and been read this story…the story of the fall of man…hundreds if not thousands of times since I was a child. But now, as a parent I read this passage and I can see through the eyes of God, the Father, as He looked for Adam and Eve in the garden, surely knowing already what they had done…what would I have said? What HAVE I said to my children…’What IS this that you have done? I gave you ONE simple rule…I gave you EVERYTHING else, you were free to enjoy everything else that I had given you…I didn’t want this for you! That’s why I warned you against it! You have chosen an exponentially more difficult path…oh, how I didn’t want this for you…

One moment of pleasure changed the entire course of Adam’s life…banished from the most beautiful, most peaceful spot on Earth…loss of the intimate communion he had with God…and he had to bear the pain and sorrow of one son killing the other, just to name a few…what a price.

We all make choices...children and adults alike. We warn, guide and instruct our kids...hoping beyond hope that they'll listen or at least absorb some of the things we try to teach them. God is no different with us...and if we are honest with ourselves, at times we're no different then our kids...God wants us to trust in HIS wisdom and guidance, not just every once in a while...not just on the big things, but every day...every moment.

Oh, that I might have just a minute portion of the grace God has for His children…

~ V

No comments:

New Year, New Look, Another Try

Lisa and my daughter Hope, both told me last night that they missed my blogging and that I should write again. So, I brought up the site...d...